Thursday, December 10, 2009

We can make a difference!

I was thinking about that school that a group of U of L grads went to teach together that Robert mentioned the other day in class. How great would that be? For a group of graduates that have formed a bond in university being able to teach together. I think that school would be a great place to attend as a student. Sure the teachers wouldn’t have the experience that older teachers would have and they may not know how to deal with every situation that might arise but they would be full of new ideas and an excitement of their first job and first time being on their own.

I think the students at this school would benefit enormously. There would probably be a great feeling of community in the school, I’m sure the teachers worked together and collaborated on ideas and strategies to improve their teaching and improve the school. Robert said that this school had a lot of school spirit and I can see why. I think it would be great to go to work with your friends every day. Yes, you can get that at any school. You can develop those relationships over time but in this environment you wouldn’t have to work to start those friendships. You already have the beginning and you just have to build on it. I have to say that I think that would be fantastic! There are many fellow classmates that I have gotten to know over the past year and a half and I would love to work with them. I think having someone else at the same stage as you to bounce ideas off would be very beneficial. I’m a little disappointed that I’m the only one at my school for PSIII for this very reason. I really like talking to others on my drive to and from school and discussing the school day and what classes went well and what didn’t. I guess I’ll have to pester people when I get home instead.

This also made me think about Robert’s brother who was a very eager teacher out of university and was given the class of “left behind” students. He taught those students and they learned. He gave his students the desire to learn, not only in his class but also in their other classes. I think this is an inspiring story of how one teacher can make a difference. The only problem was that the other teachers in his school did not like what he was doing. They did not like that they actually had to teach this group of students. It’s hard to think of teachers not wanting to teach but that was the case for these teachers. I would think it would be difficult to be in this type of school environment. If you let the negativity in, your desire to teach could be affected. I was inspired that he kept teaching and did not listen to the rest of the staff at the school. I’m sure it would have been difficult for him not to have support from the rest of the staff, however I also think it would be incredible to see the difference he was making in the lives of those students. I think making a difference is one of the most important roles of a teacher, however you do it. It does not have to be an academic difference at all, it could be increasing self-confidence or helping with some personal issue. Whatever it is, I think it is important that the students know that you believe in them and are there to help them in any way you can. This is why I think new teachers could make such a big difference if they are grouped together. The new teachers could feed off each other and inspire each other to make a difference in their students lives rather than been told to forget about a certain group of students. I know I don’t have years of experience behind me to know how difficult it might be or how over time you get worn down, but I just hope that I am able to keep my spirits high and remember that I can make a difference in the lives of my students. I never want to be that teacher that says there is no hope for a child to learn something. If I ever get to this point (which I hope I never do) I hope someone tells me to get out of the profession so that some new, young, eager grad can work their magic.

1 comment: