Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Canadian Way!


In yesterday’s presentation, Robert commented on a classmate’s suggestion to have 3 arguments for and 3 arguments against a topic so that the students can see other people’s view, as being the “Canadian Way”. I thought this was so true! Or at least it has been for me. I think I have always been taught to think of all points of view. So much so that sometimes it hinders my ability to develop my opinion of what I think is right. I can see both sides of the story or issue and can see how both could make sense to different people. I remember writing essays in high school social studies classes where I had to discuss both sides of an argument and then choose the side that I agreed with most to support it. Most of the time, I could have argued either side but for the purpose of the assignment I would pick one.

I’m not sure if this is the experience of all Canadians because I definitely know some opinionated people, but shouldn’t people try to see both sides of an issue? Wouldn’t it help create more harmony than disharmony in the world? Is there something wrong with compromise? If two students are arguing over something on the playground, wouldn’t you rather help them see each other’s side and come up with a compromise rather than arguing or fighting over the issue until one finally gives in? Again, this is how I was raised so it makes the most sense to me. But I think that students should also be encouraged to develop their opinion and be able to stand up for what they believe in. I guess being able to see the other person’s side doesn’t necessarily mean you agree with it, simply that you can work with it.

Overall, I like the Canadian Way! I think compromise is the way to go on most problems so that’s how I will continue to live. Compromise is the Canadian Way….the best way!


2 comments:

  1. Sheri,
    I like the question, wouldn't it help create more harmony than disharmony in the world?

    I know I like harmony, I am not a huge fan of conflict, just last night during a volleyball game it got a little heated between the teams I was like eek! Stay calm everyone, tone it down!! eek!! get me out of here, trying not to make eye contact with the angry parties even though it had nothing to do with me. But I don't think that everyone has a belief like I do, some people don't care about harmony, it is about their way or the highway!!! Harmony, not really a factor for these people!!!

    So yes, if everyone had our view point, then multiple perspectives would be the best way and really the only way we could see things; however, not everyone has this way of thinking so it isn't. I think that this is why social studies is very important for our students (I am not being biased at all as a social major ;) ), it is important that they learn to look at all sides. I think a huge part of our job as teachers is to educate the students on life knowledge as well, this will help them further in life.

    Canada, in my opinion is definitely seen as a country focused on harmony!! Or at least that is how I see it, sometimes to the point where it may be a flaw in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri,

    I really like that you brought up the "Canadian Way". As soon as it was mentioned in class to be SOOOO Canadian when trying to see both sides of things, I thought "Hey that is true!". I was definitely taught the same values as you were when dealing with conflict try to resolve things with harmony. I definitely agree with this way of thinking. But then I got questioning, am I this way because I was taught to be or do I truly believe it. If there was a subject that was so dear to me how far would I fight it if I believed it to be the one true idea.

    I think it is a generational concept. In the last 20 years Canada stand point has changed. If you look at the involvement of Canadians in decision making, there isn't a whole lot. Because of our nonchalant perspective or peace keeping perspectives we've also created a lot of people who are apathetic. How often is apathy practiced in Canada when the polls are being counted? A lot of people are not strongly enough opposed to one side to be involved at all or they will just vote the way the majority goes, or their parents go.

    Whereas if you look at a few generations before ours, how were Canadian's viewed? Were they seen as people of harmony? Yes, but in different ways I think. For example, my grandfather was in the Calgary Tanks Regiment during WWII and stationed at the battle of Dieppe (the first one that did not go so smoothly). At that time there were a lot more Canadians involved in politics, the way the country was run, and people held much more clearly defined opinions about the world they lived in. My grandpa firmly believed in peace, but in his time that meant something. It meant fighting for a country that gave people freedoms and rights, and were strongly against the Nazi regime. Canadians took a side. They were known to stand up for what they believed in in order to attain and maintain peace for their families AND for the families of those being oppressed as far away as Europe (which in those days was not quite so accessible so it was a far ways). I don't think "Canadians" took the same viewpoint of "Let's look at how the Nazi's are seeing things. Maybe we can find a compromise here."

    Now it seems like we have nothing else to fight for. Everything has been given to us so we have no reason to be involved or to take a strong stand in what we believe for. Women and people of different race have suffrage. We can practice our religions freely at home and speak whatever language we choose. Our country is quite stable. Our living conditions are some of the best in the world.

    The "Canadian Way" is harmony, but harmony and how we attain it is quite different depending on the time period we look at.

    I agree that it is important to find compromise and harmony where possible, but it is extremely important to make a stand for what we believe in. Students need to be taught to believe in something and be able to support their points of view because they want to, not because it is an assignment they could go either way on (and I have to admit I am guilty of this new generation perspective as well).

    ReplyDelete