Monday, October 26, 2009

Are Teacher Colleges Turning Out Mediocrity?

I have just read an article from Time Magazine today called Are Teacher Colleges Turning Out Mediocrity? The article questions the quality of teachers graduating from teacher colleges in the United States and blames the teacher colleges for not adequately preparing the teachers for the challenges they will face in the 21st century. I found this article interesting as we have talked about teacher quality in our class and the differences of teachers from U of L, U of A, U of C, and now Concordia. Prior to coming to the U of L, I had heard that it had the reputation of being the best school in Alberta for teaching. Within my first week here, I met some individuals that asked what I was taking in school. I said teaching and they replied “Guess we should have known that. Everyone comes here for teaching.” So before I had even begun my classes I was aware that there was a common thought that most students come to U of L for the Ed program and that teachers graduating from U of L Ed program are expected to be the best in Alberta. At that time I wondered whether it was in fact true and now believe it to be. Maybe we are a little arrogant to believe that we are the best teachers but maybe this arrogance isn’t all bad. If we believe we are the best, will we continue to strive to be the best in our classrooms and schools? And wont that be beneficial to our students?

I believe that part of that belief that U of L grad are the best stems from the additional practicum that we get. Most of the other Ed programs only have two teaching practica and we get another whole semester to practice and improve our teaching. I think this extra practice is extremely helpful to increase confidence and learn from another teacher mentor. Why wouldn’t other universities see how the extra teaching time is beneficial to the student teachers and adopt that into their programs too?

When I was deciding on where to apply for Ed programs, I only really looked into the U of C program and the U of L program. Since I am from Calgary, my family, friends and at that time boyfriend (now husband) were all in Calgary and I was trying to decide if I wanted to head to another city to pursue my degree, or stay in Calgary. I started to look into each program and found that there was no question, Lethbridge was the better choice. To top it off, I talked to my sister-in-law who completed her teaching degree at the U of C and she said that their program was mostly theory based and they would sit around and talk about the theory of teaching methods where as it appeared that the U of L program was more practical based. Sure, theory has its place but I think teaching is more practical than theory based and I wanted a program where I could try out various teaching methods and see what worked best for me. I wonder sometime if I had gone to U of C, would I become a different teacher or would everything have turned out the same in the end?

The article suggests that the quality of the teachers may be able to be traced back to the school that they graduated from. Apparently in Louisiana, student test scores in grades 4-9 are traced back to their teachers and then traced back to where the teachers were educated to compare the quality of teaching colleges. Wow, that puts a lot of onus on the teaching colleges! I guess the point is that teaching colleges can look at where their graduates aren’t performing adequately and look to improve this part of their teaching programs. Sounds like a good idea in theory but I think there could be other factors associated with student test scores than simply where the teacher graduated from. How much influence does the university or college have on the quality of their graduates?

2 comments:

  1. I think this is quite interesting. I as well heard the U of L ed program was the best and I didn't even really look into any other programs. As you have mentionned after everything we have learnt I believe that to be true. I think it's great how much practicum time we get and that last 4 months is really crucial for us to get more practice and be in there for a length of time everyday, teaching our majors as well as other subjects. I have to say if I were to graduate right now without doing PSIII I would be verrrrrrry nervous teaching my first job because 6 weeks and 4 months is a huge difference.

    In the discussion about teaching colleges, I don't know what I think about that. We have discussed how back in the day teachers did a 6 week program and then they were teachers. We were told that there hasnt really been any differences found in the quality of those teachers and what graduating teachers are like today. Therefore it's really hard to say. Also I agree with what you said that student scores are based on many things not just the teacher so it would be really hard to draw conclusions from that I think. I don't think all the information would be completely accurate. Of course if there was a seriously outstanding trend then possibly yeah some changes need to be made in that program from whatever college. But I don't know. Lets just say I'm happy that I will be a graduate from the U of L!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also heard that the U of L is the best University for the Faculty of Education long before I entered the school. There were quite a few girls that I graduated with that decided to continue with school and become teachers. I for sure know of 8 different girls. Of those, there are only two of us that have come to the U of L. There were two that are going to the U of C and the rest are going to U of A. I find this very interesting considering the hype that the U of L receives. I especially find it crazy since we are all from Medicine Hat and this would be the closest place to go. I understand that people have their different reasons, but I am not quite sure what they are. The majority of the girls that I know went to Edmonton, and yet, I have met about 3 people who have come from Edmonton to pursue their career. What reasons do people have for choosing other schools? Maybe location, other friends going there, shorter time, etc. In terms of going there for shorter time, personally, I would rather have as much education as possible because that one year extra will allow us to gain more experience and knowledge that will be carried out throughout our teaching careers. I know that we can’t completely shut these schools out as good, as I am sure that they can produce amazing teachers, as everyone is an individual. I would be interested to see a detailed comparison between the schools about what they learn, and the outcomes of their education. Where does the U of L get its reputation from? Either way, I am happy that I go to the U of L!

    ReplyDelete